Being a work at home momma

So I wanted to do a quick post about what it's like being a work at home momma. When Casey came being the control freak that I am I knew that I couldn't leave him to go back to work. As much as I want to have a career and a family - I just know that there is no one in this world that will take care of him like I will. I am extremely blessed and fortunate enough to be able to stay home with him so we decided that's what would be best for our family. And caveat before anyone gets their panties in a bunch - I don't think being a working mom is bad - I know some people choose to and some people have to - regardless of the reason we all have to do what works for us - so check your drama at the door when it comes to the mommy wars.

As the days and months passed by - as much as I love Casey and love to be with him and spend every minute with him - I missed working. I missed having that identity in a weird way. I loved my new title Mom but I felt like something was missing. I had worked very hard for 10 years to build a great career and overnight I walked away from it. It was very hard for me to deal with and I think a large reason why I suffer from PPD.

So through a casual conversation with my boss I discovered that they needed help. It was perfect - they needed help, I wanted to help - match made in heaven. So I decided to create an LLC - Wiklund Consulting LLC - and I went to work…at home. We agreed to about 10 hours a week and then I would come in to the office whenever possible and it's worked great. So how do I make it work?

I am lucky that Casey it now a great sleeper. He normally is up around 6 and goes back down for a nap between 8-8:30. I am normally up by 4 to do the chores, prep bottles, eat breakfast, sometimes do a little work and get a workout in and a quick shower so that when Casey wakes up I can spend time with him. As soon as he goes down for a nap I hop on the computer and start working.

He will normally nap anywhere from 1.5-2 so I am able to get quite a bit of work in. I normally will take calls throughout the day whether he is awake or asleep and it works for us. He will go back down in the afternoon for 1.5-2 hours again and if there is anything pressing I will get back on the computer - if not I will use that time to catch up on chores, workouts or anything I wasn't able to do in the morning. t try to limit my time working to when he is sleeping so that I don't take that time away from him. Once a week my bother in law comes and watches him while I go into the office which we are so very grateful for - and Ceej loves the time with Grandma!

It makes my days busy and there's no napping or doing much for myself during the day since the quiet times are filled with work but I love it and it works for us! I am very thankful to have the opportunity to be a work at home momma - I know not everyone's positions lend themselves to this sort of arrangement and a lot of companies would be like no way! The days definitely get interesting when I'm knee deep in a poo-splosion and I get an urgent call - but we handle it and we have become great partners on those days where I have to be on calls when he is awake - everyone at work is used to hearing him in the background from time to time and think it's adorable!

Being a work at home momma isn't easy - as if being a momma doesn't make you feel like you are pulled in a million directions add in trying to work and manage a baby at home at the same time - it can be crazy - but it's a good kinda crazy and I'm kinda loving it!

XOXO
K

Comments

Popular Posts