Motivation Monday - At Home Workout Motivation

Happy Labor Day and a very special Happy Birthday to my Dad Dewane!! I love you so much Dad - you are the best Dad a girl could ask for and watching you in the role of Grandpa to Ceejy just melts my heart. The love that I see in your eyes and the way you light up when you see him is the best. I only wish that we lived closer. Makes me so sad and saying good bye gets harder every time.

So on to Motivation Monday. Today I want to talk about at home vs. gym workouts. I've never been a good at home work outer. To me it's always been tough to stay motivated at home by myself. I am a people person and thrive off of the energy of others. Going to the gym, music blasting used to be so realizing and therapeutic for me - I loved it. Honestly before CJ came along I assumed I would return to the gym. And then life happened and I realized with a little one - finding the time to get to the gym while still having time with Chris and time for all of us as a family - it's just not going to happen. And as you may or may not know I'm a bit neurotic about leaving CJ with people I trust - let alone at the gym daycare - so even when he's 6 months and is old enough that - for me - just isn't an option.

That all being said I've had to become an at home work outer. It hasn't been easy and I have days where I dog it or I don't get it done - but for the most part I've made it work. I know a lot of you are in the same situation with little time to work out or get to the gym so I wanted to share some of what's helped me with you!

1. Figure out the best time of day for your workout and stick to it! For me I can't say ok everyday between 8-9 am I'm going to work out - but what I can say is ok, during CJ's first nap I'm going to flip on the monitor and get my workout in! The only time I deviate from this is if we are doing something that day where I need to get showered and cleaned up and be ready before he wakes up. Most days though, I am able to get an hour workout in, a shower and be ready for the day before he wakes up! This helps me mentally know and prepare for workout time just as I would have when I went to the gym after dinner every night pre baby.

2. Treat yourself to a few cute things to work out in! I am cheap when it comes to work out clothes - I don't like to pay much for them - so athlete, lululemon - those places are out for me. I LOVE Target's workout clothes but always wait for them to go on sale because honestly I think they are a bit pricey. Wal Mart also has some pretty cute workout tanks. If you have cute workout clothes that you enjoy wearing - gym or not - I find that sometimes it makes it easier!

3. Designate a spot in your house where you like to work out. It's almost like your personal gym space. For me we have a treadmill in our storage room so that's the first space we have sort of designated for workouts. Then I do quite a few beach body workouts - body pump and body combat are my favorite - so I do those off the bar in my kitchen so I can be on the hardwood floor. Having a space that you always use helps eliminate time spent trying to decide where you want to workout and what might work.

4. Change up your workouts! I was doing Jillian Michael's 30 day shred and I enjoyed it and saw results but the monotony of the same workout for 10 days in a row drove me nuts and I ended up giving up about 18 days in. I also walked/ran on the treadmill for about 2 weeks straight after we got it and quickly got bored of just that too! I've found that what works for me is alternating between weight training on my own and through body pump, a few days a week on the treadmill and a few days doing my body combat martial arts workout.

5. If you are a class person - find a day or two a week to take a class. I used to LOVE going to yoga. I felt like I was in great shape when I was doing yoga regularly and definitely noticed differences in my flexibility and strength. With a 15 pound baby who just gets bigger every day I feel like I'm getting huge arms already and want to stay strong and flexible for him. There's a great yoga studio down the street so I'm going to try to go one weeknight and maybe a weekend morning when Chris can watch CJ. I feel like it will kill two birds with one stone of getting me back into yoga and also satisfying my need to exercise in a group setting with others.

6. Lastly, find something you enjoy! I know tons of people enjoy zumba and workouts where you are essentially dancing - for me I love the martial arts/kickboxing workouts. Honestly it makes me feel like a total bad ass! Especially body combat. A few of the workouts include downward street brawl punches and I'm sure I look like a complete idiot but I have a blast doing them. The key to working out and developing a routine and sticking to it is to do what you love!

I hope some of these tips help you in your own fitness journeys - if you have any tips for me that have worked for you as far as keeping up with your workouts and staying fit at home I would LOVE to hear them! Enjoy your Labor Day and stay safe!

XOXO
K

Comments

Popular Posts