Motivation Monday!

Well well well, Motivation Monday we meet again. I have bad news - we went to Grand Cayman last week. Sun, sand, fun - and wine every night. Translation - no bueno for the scale. Also, we got back into town a bit late last night, had to pick up the dog, unpack, etc - which was also no bueno for the scale because we ended up ordering Chinese food. So in the last week I gained 3 lbs. I'm looking on the bright side and thinking it could have been worse! After all - one day for lunch I did have an enormous cheeseburger and a "fry mix" that consisted of regular fries, sweet potato fries, fried mushrooms and fried jalapenos - for lunch my friends - lunch. And deelish Reisling every single night - but YOLO right? :)

This brings me back to something my dad once told me. Before I went on sabbatical (haha) I would commute at least an hour each way depending on traffic that day. I would spend that hour talking to my parents - yes every single day - I am a total momma and daddy's girl and if I had my way I would like 10 minutes from my folks. I miss this part of working and commuting dearly - it was always my favorite part of the day. It's just not the same now as there is always something to do with a little one at home and I don't have an hour in the car to focus on just them. But I digress...

One day a few years back I was in crazy gym rat workout mode - it's all I did and all I thought about and I put it above all else. I would turn down things like Cubs games, going out for drinks, going out for lunch with my co workers - because I was worried I'd mess up my diet and gain a pound or miss out on a workout. It wasn't a healthy way to live. So, I was on the way home and it was early spring and one of those first really beautiful spring days after being cooped up inside all winter and I really wanted to have a beer and some tater tots on the patio of one of our favorite bars - Murphy's - right outside of Wrigley field and our apartment at the time. I was talking to my Dad and told him this (we both share a serious love for Bell's Oberon) and he said well duh, go have tater tots and beer. 20 years from now you aren't going to remember that night you spent in the gym doing the same thing you do every other night but you will remember the fun time and the memories you make with Chris on that patio over a beer and some tots. And you know what - he was 100% right. I went out that night and had that beer and those tots and will never forget it.

What I'm getting at is that your life can't be all about restricting yourself and pushing yourself - because I truly believe if it is you will slip up and indulge or go off the deep end the other way. I know because I've done it so many times. I like to live by the 80/20 rule. 80% of the time (and most times more) I try to eat clean, get my workouts in and stick to my regime. The other 20% of the time I let loose a little so I don't feel deprived. For me this works out to Friday and Saturday nights. We go out and I order what I want. I don't order a salad, no dressing with a water - I order nachos and a corona light. But it helps me stay on track during the week and works for me.

So find what works best for you - don't deprive yourself, but don't reward yourself with food either. Allow yourself some leeway to enjoy parties, time with friends, all of that - and don't think your diet or exercise regime is shot just because you have one bad night out. Trust me - when I was my healthiest and in the best shape of my life - you better believe I ate nachos and drank a beer every single Friday!

You only live once right?

XOXO
K

Comments

Popular Posts