You know you've been in the hospital too long when...

So with the exception of 36 hours where we were able to go home for a short period of time - we've been in the hospital 15 days. We should be on our way out the door tonight (crossing everything there are no more setbacks!) but there have been a few things that I can't help but giggle about and I thought I'd share them to give momma's who have never been in this situation a little glimpse into what it's like and for momma's who have been here a little laugh.

You know you've been in the hospital too long when you stop worrying about wearing your bra. Yep - I give literally zero shits about wearing a bra all the time. When we first checked in I don't think I took my bra off ever. There are doctors, nurses and CNAs in at all hours of the night and I was just nervous to unleash the beasts. That lasted through our first stay - when we checked back in forget it. After dinner it's off and doesn't go back on until the morning - sometimes after rounds haha!

You also know you've been here way too long when your sweet baby has a nickname throughout the hospital. Maxy moose has been dubbed "wagon baby" by some of the people in the halls since we stroll most of the day. He loves being out and about and everyone through the halls just loves him - especially the nurses. He has them all wrapped and we get stopped numerous times with the ladies telling him how cute he is.

You definitely know you've been here too long when you know the optimum time to take a shower. You would think of man I should get in there early before everyone else does. Nope - not so much. If you try to take a shower too early the water apparently hasn't had a chance to warm up. I've found the optimum time to take a shower is right when Maxy goes down for first nap - right around 8:30. Any earlier and it's way too cold.

I also know that I've been here way too long now that I've made friends with Maria - the phone operator on the other end of the dining on call phone number. I'm pretty predictable and order pretty much the same thing for every meal every day and Maria and I have become fast friends. She teases me everyday because I get cobb salad no tomatoes but then I get a side of tomato soup. They confirm it with her every. single. time.

It's evident that we've been here too long considering we've made actual friends on the floor - both patients and their families as well as our nurses. For as sick as Maxy has been he is probably the healthiest baby here and that's so so sad. There are all sorts of ages here from teeny tiny new babies coming straight from the NICU to 17 year old kids. Because we are on the neurosurgery floor most of the kiddos here have brain tumors or more serious spinal conditions such as full on spina bifida and it's so so very heartbreaking. It makes us so thankful that are problems are small in comparison. I have met some amazing parents and even more amazing and resilient kiddos during our stay here and they will forever hold a special place in our hearts.

As the days have worn on most of our friends have started to leave and there are just 2 of us from the original crew left and I hope that they get to leave soon too. And our nurses - I cannot say enough good things about all of them. As you know we've been at the hospital alone for this second much longer stay because it's just not possible for both of us to be here because our babies at home need us to. That being said - the nurses seem to know when I need to chat be it about Max or just life in general. They know when to come and just sit for a few minutes and hang out to give me some sense of normalcy and for that I will be forever thankful.

And one of the biggest things that signal to me that I've been here too long is the fact that I feel like a nurses assistant. Haha. I've learned to get him all hooked back up on monitor, cancel out alarms when I know they are ok, and of course deal with his picc line. I would have never ever guessed that the terms saline flush and hep lock would become second nature to me. I have also stopped being timid about what I feel is best for Max - even when it is something as simple as doing his vitals. There are constantly people in and out and it's hard for him to get good rest. When they come in to do vitals if I think that he could use the rest and hold off a little I will urge them to wait. I've always been his biggest advocate but that's only strengthened the longer we've been here.

I wouldn't wish this on anyone but I always try to see the positive in every situation and laugh through the tears.

XOXO
K

Comments

Popular Posts