Quick Ceej Update

So sorry for being MIA for a while (and totally missing Motivation Monday - it will be back next week I promise) but things have been a little crazy lately! I have about 5-10 minutes until the end of nap time so wanted to squeeze in a quick post.

First of all thank you for all the thoughts, calls, texts, emails and messages regarding Casey's procedure on Monday - we appreciate all the love! On Monday we took Casey to have his lip and tongue tie lasered. There is a doctor here in Chicagoland that is basically a pioneer in the laser procedure and we had no doubt we wanted to use him. I was so nervous going into the procedure and literally had many sleepless nights leading up to it. Were we making the right decision, was it really going to help, would there be complications, would it hurt him too much? All of these things - but ultimately we decided that it was the best decision for Casey. Lip and tongue ties not only lead to feeding issues but can lead to speech and mouth issues as he grows.

We arrived on Monday and I instantly was nervous. After Dr. Margolis took a look at his mouth he classified both ties as Grade 3 out of 4 and suggested we correct both. Momma left the room and Daddy (what a saint) held Case for the procedure. I could hear everything and he screamed like crazy - broke. my. heart. But I just kept thinking it's for the best. As soon as they were done they brought him to me to nurse and even though he latched with no problem (albeit with a bit of blood) - I just broke down crying uncontrollably. I was so sad - sad that my baby was hurting, sad that he had to go through that, sad that I wasn't strong enough to hold him, sad that Daddy had to do it - all of that. He nursed very well and even took a bottle in the office. He really didn't seem to be in all that much pain but once we got him home it seemed to bother him so for about the first 24 hours we gave him tylenol (he clearly prefers bubblegum over cherry ;))

So the first 24 hours was rough. He would nurse fine but wouldn't take a bottle. As many of you know I am not making enough or Casey isn't able to draw enough from me so we supplement every feeding with 2 oz of formula - which is about half a feeding. As you can imagine, I was freaking out - thinking we did this to help with his weight gain and feeding issues and now he won't take a bottle? I called the lactation consultant and she said she's never really seen them refuse a bottle - great. I was freaking out and in that moment I thought we made the wrong decision. 24 long hours later, lots of prayers from Granny and momma, and a lot of perseverance from this momma - Casey took a bottle almost 24 hours to the minute!! We were back on track!

So where are we now? Casey is doing great - no pain and we even started the exercises where we have to lift his lip and tongue for a few seconds each day - 3 times a day - for the next 10 days. I was hopeful he was getting more milk from me - but the lactation station today proved me wrong. They weigh him before and after feedings and he's still just getting about 2oz from me when nursing. This means he needs anywhere from 1-2 oz of supplementation. So not what I was hoping to hear - especially after putting him through the procedure - but I'm hoping it may just take a little time. In other great news he's officially reached butterball status at 10lbs 3oz!! :)

So for now, we keep doing what we are doing and hope and pray it gets better. We'll keep having fun moments like this...


I'll continue to take copious amounts of Fenugreek, drink the shit out of mother's milk tea, eat oatmeal like it's my job, and enjoy my lactation cookie with a side of guiness each night. I will also keep supplementing every feeding and use my hospital pump after each one to try to trick my body into making more. It's exhausting and it's a lot of work and the easy thing to do would be to give up - but I'm not ready to do that. I fought to even conceive Casey and by God I will not give up on this that easily - we will figure this out come hell or high water.

Thanks for all your support and sweet words - they seriously mean the world to us. To those mommas out there who are able to successfully nurse their little ones - count your blessings. It seriously is such a sweet sweet bonding experience and so good for your little ones and you are so very very lucky to be able to do it. For those you struggling - don't give up until you've tried everything. There are things that work - even though we have a rigorous schedule we are making it work and Casey is at least getting some breastmilk which is better than nothing. Don't get discouraged either - I thought so much in the beginning that I was inadequate thinking to myself I can't even feed my baby - but I truly believe that it just doesn't work for some - and that's ok. If you are in my situation and need some help or advice feel free to reach out - it's scary and can be very isolating and I'm always here to talk!

So I'll leave you with a few of my favorite recent pics of Mr. Case :)

Where did my little man go? 


Casey getting his passport pic taken!

Not sure what he was doing here but woke up to this the other night!

XOXO
K


Comments

Popular Posts