Update on sleep training two nights in

Wow...let me just start this post off saying prepare to be amazed. I could not be a more proud momma right now. As many of you know we have struggled will Ceej's sleep for a while now. We've had too many rough nights to count and finally reached our breaking point and hired a sleep consultant. She came last week and we began sleep training Friday night. Friday was definitely tough during the day he didn't nap well and throughout the night he woke just as many times (if not more) as he usually does. He was in his crib for a total of 12 hours but only asleep 7 of those - so 5 total hours of fussing and crying for a total sleep tally for the day of about  10.5 hours. At ceej's age babies should be getting between 13-15 total hours of sleep...he's lucky if he hits 10 most days.

Fast forward to last night - so during the day we protected the nap like a momma bear protects her cub. We practiced sleep, eat, play repeat and never ventured further than about a 20 ,inure walk from home to be sure we didn't miss the approximately every  2 hour nap time. Sacrifices but we are committed! So the longest nap he took was an hour whereas it should be anywhere from 90 minutes to 2 hours. There were a few that were literally 20 mins and we thought Damon we are in for it tonight remembering that sleep begets sleep. We fought to get him about 3 hours of naps and then...

Bedtime should be anywhere in the range of 6-7 depending on last nap. Ceej woke at 3 so we knew we would need an earlier bedtime. We started bedtime routine at 6, momma said good night at 6:40 and daddy took over with a bottle around 6:45 he laid Ceej in his crib and within 90 seconds he was asleep - no joke! No real crying maybe a whimper or two - but 90 seconds?!? This is the kid that wouldn't sleep in his back just over a month ago and God forbid you out him down not in a deep sleep! Seriously - answered prayers!

I watched in the monitor for a while and finally dozed at around 8. My alarm goes off at 10 to do the first dream feed and I'm wondering has he woke at all? I didn't hear him on the monitor but who knows? The dream feed is a confusing thing because you think damn should I really wake a sleeping baby but it's all part of he plan. I nursed him for 8 minutes put him back down and not a peep!!! 

My alarm went off again at 2 am for a dream feed and same thing went back down without a peep! Chris woke me at 5 saying he was headed out to volunteer at the marathon so I needed to take over. Ceej's ended up waking shortly after and I think between not seeing me for a while and smelling my milk it was all over. He played in his crib till 5:30 and I got him out at 5:50.

So now for the tally. I saw from Chris' sleep log Ceej sleep from 6:45-12:30 - are you serious?!?!?! Longest stretch ever! He fussed for 18 minutes and was back down until 4:30 when he fussed for 8 - is this real life?!?! So in one day his sleep tally went from 10.5 to 13!!!! It could have just been a really really good night but I'm praying that it keeps up and thanking God for some answered prayers and that this has been easy (knock on wood) so far!

So there you go! Yes it was pricey and honestly I didn't necessarily kern anything that I hadn't read in books or online from the sleep consultant but hiring her was the push we needed to jump in and actually do it! And having her support each morning is really helping us with any questions we may have along the way. And now I have to go grab Ceej he just woke from a 2 hour nap!! I could not be more proud of my little nugget right now!!!!

XOXO
k

Comments

Popular Posts